Using OS : 2012-08-16-wheezy-raspbian
I already had a Bluetooth dongle lying idle at home so just hooked it in and started my RPi
1. On boot i typed the following command to see if my connected dongle was visible.
This returned the following line to make sure that the dongle was detected
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 1131:1001 Integrated System Solution Corp. KY-BT100 Bluetooth Adapter
2. Then typed in
bluetooth 166552 23 btusb,rfcomm,bnep
3. Now to install bluetooth package
$sudo apt-get install bluetooth
Note: Installation takes a while relax and enjoy for the time
4. Now after the installation is completed, run the following to get the status.
This is returned if all is good
[ ok ] bluetooth is running.
5. Now you can find your blueetooth address using the following command
This returns something like this
6. Now we can scan for nearby devices using the following command
7. Now we can run a small test to connect to the following device
$sudo l2ping -c 1 54:9B:12:99:36:61
Ping: 54:9B:12:99:36:61 from 00:11:67:10:80:F0 (data size 44) ...
0 bytes from 54:9B:12:99:36:61 id 0 time 19.28ms
1 sent, 1 received, 0% loss